Originating in Genoa, Italy, we’ve updated the traditional pesto recipe to include flavorful and nutritious microgreens. Use this basil and arugula microgreens pesto on pasta or add to dishes as a spreading sauce.
- 1.5 oz Infinite Harvest Basil microgreens
- 1.5 oz Infinite Harvest Arugula microgreens
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup pine nuts (you can substitute walnuts)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (not pre-shredded or grated)
- 2-3 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- Begin mincing the garlic. When most of the garlic is roughly chopped, add about a third of the fresh microgreens and continue chopping. Add the rest of the microgreens and chop.
- When the basil and garlic are finely (and finally!) minced, add about half of the pine nuts and continue chopping. Add the rest of the pine nuts and – guess what! – continue chopping.
- Add half the parmesan cheese and keep on chopping, then add the rest of the cheese finish chopping
- When the mixture is chopped so finely that you can begin to push it all together, pack it tightly into a ball or patty and transfer to a bowl or airtight container (if not using right away). Drizzle with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and set aside/refrigerate until ready to use.
This microgreens recipe will keep for several days in the fridge, tightly covered. To reuse, simply add a bit more olive oil and stir to break up the ball and incorporate.
Serve on pasta, in lasagna, on sandwiches, or anywhere else you may use a standard pesto. The great thing about using the fresh intensely flavored microgreens is a little goes a long way!
And be sure to take a photo of your microgreens recipes and tag @infiniteharvest on social.
Inside this microgreens recipe